Wednesday, October 04, 2006

We Are...MARSHALL!!



If you know me, then you know that Marshall University is a favorite team of mine. The university holds a special place in my heart for several reasons: It is in Huntington, WV -- which is where I was born. Both my parents grew up in Huntington and both attended Marshall University prior to transferring to UT (go Vols!). My PaTom (my mom's dad) attended Marshall and was one of the founding fathers of the Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity. My grandparents were and are Marshall fans, as well as my Godfather. I have seen Marshall play numerous times -- both in Huntington and at other schools.

If you are wondering why, in particular, I am writing about Marshall -- it is because of a movie coming out on December 22nd. The movie..."We Are Marshall" chronicles the school's "rebirth" after the plane on which the team was returning after an away game crashed into a hillside just outside of Huntington on November 14, 1970 The crash killed all 75 people on board -- most of the football team,coaching staff,and numerous members of the community. It has been called the most tragic event in college sports history. The movie tells the story of the crash, but primarily focuses on how the community rallied together after the tragedy to help each other heal and to rebuild an atheletic program that was almost cancelled. I have put a link to the trailer for the movie in the links section to the right -- take a look if you have a minute. And when the movie comes out on December 22nd -- go see it -- it should be a good one -- and show that anything is possible if you put your mind to it and try hard enough. After all........... We Are....MARSHALL! Go herd!!

1 comment:

Wes said...

Looks like it'll be a great movie! And what a cute baby! :)